Monday, April 28, 2008

Running and Other Wonderful stuff

Ok so I went running the other and part of my new pre-run routine includes lots of stretching. On some days I will hit the stationary bike for 10 mins to warm up. Anyways, I started my run and everything felt great. But I could not get into a comfortable pace until mile 1.5 and my breathing didn't settle down until mile 2. Did I not warmup long enough? Should I go longer on the bike? Should I do 2 miles on the elliptical before my run? Or am I just crazy and let my body figure out that I am running again and let everything fall into place. I will probably do the latter. Another thing I noticed is that I seem to be running faster toward the end of my run. I don't feel like I am holding anything back in the beginning of the run, so where is this energy come from? Running is weird, fun but weird.


So for the past week I have been working on a big wooden playset for my kids. We picked up all the parts last weekend and my father-in-law and I spent the past week putting it together. It was not hard at all, just takes allot of time. Here are a few pics.




I still have a few minor things to complete on the playset, but it is pretty much done. The kids enjoy going down the slide and using the swings.

Happy Monday!

6 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

wow...I can't help you with the breathing issues. Good luck with that.

And that's a SWEET playset! Well done!!

Michelle said...

I wouldn't analyze the running stuff too much. Just make sure you're running at a comfortable pace, and you'll get back into a groove with it. You had a pretty long layoff, so I think it's normal to take a little while to really get back into it again.

And I have serious swingset envy!!!! Where did you guys get yours? I don't know if we're going to get one this year, but it's a possibility. I just dread the assembly process.....

Michelle said...

Planning on the Blessing this year, but not really sure about triathlons. I just haven't been swimming or biking much lately, so I don't think an Oly is really going to be an option. I may choose a sprint for later in the season, to give myself a chance to get back on track with the swimming and biking.

Unknown said...

I'm betting that it will feel much easier once you've been back at it for a few weeks consistantly. I think that's plenty of warmup. Just keep it easy for a while until you get your base back.

Have fun!

Sherry said...

Your warm-up seems to be more than adequate in my opinion... and serves as a reminder that I don't warm-up nearly enough.

I have also found that I seem to run faster towards the end of my runs as well. This seems to always happen during longer runs of 5 or more miles. I'm not sure if it's just my legs going on autopilot (and being really warmed up) or what?

Being so new to all of this, my only advice would be to take it nice and easy... or as easy as you can.

Kevin said...

sounds like you just need some time to build back your running base. Just try not to push too fast too soon.